Pan-Seared Yelloweye with Marsh Skeele
What happens when you give a fisherman a surprise recipe? You guessed it... Boat Deck Cookin'!
In this episode, Marsh Skeele cooks up a spring-inspired yelloweye recipe from Sitka Seafood Market member Sujhey Beisser of Madison, WI. Watch to learn a fisherman's approach to cooking their seafood harvest and get a laugh in the process!
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
Total time: 45 min
For the Yelloweye:
- 2 pounds Sitka Salmon Shares Yelloweye, cut in 4 serving size pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the Pea Soup:
- 2 cups fresh English peas
- 1 shallot, cut into large pieces
- 1 sweet pepper (ají dulce, if available), cut into large pieces
- ½ jalapeño, seeded and cut into large pieces
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 clove garlic
- 10 mint leaves
- Handful of fresh cilantro
- 6 ounces sour cream
- Zest of 1 lime
For the Salsa:
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into a small dice
- 1 ripe firm mango, cut into a small dice
- 1 shallot, cut into a small dice
- 3 sweet peppers (ají dulce, if available), cut into a small dice
- ½ jalapeño, seeded and cut into a small dice
- Fresh mint
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon cream (optional)
- Pea flowers (optional)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season with salt. Add shallot, sweet peppers and jalapeño to the boiling water along with the coriander seeds and garlic. Bring back to a boil and add the fresh peas and cook until tender, about 90 seconds.
Strain, reserving the cooking water. Place the strained ingredients in a blender, add mint, cilantro, sour cream, lime zest, and one cup of the cooking water. Blend on high until smooth. If it feels too thick add more cooking liquid until you get the desired consistency, smooth and creamy, not runny. Taste and season with salt and pepper. You may pass the soup through a strainer for a smoother consistency (optional).
In a medium bowl, combine the avocado, mango, shallot, sweet peppers, jalapeño, mint and cilantro with the lime juice and 1 tbsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and gently mix to combine.
In a large skillet add 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Season fish with salt and pepper. Cook the pieces of fish until seared on one side, you will know when you start seeing the sides changing color, about 3 minutes. Flip over and cook the other side until cooked through, about 3 more minutes. The fish will be golden in the outside and tender on the inside.
Add 1 ladle of pea soup on the bottom of a serving plate. Place a piece of yelloweye in the center of the soup. Top with 2 tablespoons of the mango-avocado salsa. For an optional garnish add a pea flower on top. Enjoy!